Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Italian Stuffed Zucchini and Pumpkin Biscuits




Pumpkin Biscuits (A+)
(thought process..."Um, I thought I had more misc items in the pantry that could add to a meal... What would go with stuffed zucchini ?... Aha! Trader Joe's pumpkin pancake mix. I bet I can find some instructions on the internet to turn that into biscuits... It worked!)

2 1/2 cups pancake mix
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg

1. Mix all ingredients to form a ball
2. Roll out on floured surface (I used a vinegar bottle since I have no rolling pin) to 1/2 inch thickness
3. Use biscuit cutter (made one from opening both ends of a can of apricots, learned this trick from my grandmother)
4.  I put my biscuits on a pizza stone and stuck them in the freezer for about 30 min (I am not sure if that made them better. I am sure that it is an unnecessary step but it makes crusts better so I thought I would try.)
5. Back at 425 (the recipe said 10-12 min, starting from the freezer mine took about 18 mins with a few checks in the middle to make sure they were ok)

Yummy!!

Italian Stuffed Zucchini (from real simple A+)
(after many weeks of zucchini from the CSA I have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for new ways to eat the green torpedos)

1/2 lb Italian sausage (I used fresh spicy chicken sausage from Todaro Bros, our fav Italian local mart)
2 T pine nuts
2 T diced sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup grated cheese (the recipe called for Asiago but I had some Pecorino Romano so I used that, ended up being more like a 1/2 cup)
2 green onions chopped (I used one small leek from the CSA)
4 medium zucchini (I had two large ones and that worked fine)

1. Remove casing from sausage and brown in skillet
2. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and add sausage once browned
3. Cut Zucchini lengthwise, remove seeds from the middle (I cut the seed portion up and added it to the filling mixture)
4. Fill hollow zucchini with stuffing and bake at 400 for 12-15 min until tender (I cooked mine on the tope rack of the oven at 425 while the biscuits were cooking for about 20 min)

TJ said this was one of the best meals he has had in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment