Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Julie and Heidi... The Super Natural Cooking Adventure

Two years ago my brother Josiah gave me the cookbook "Super Natural Cooking" by Heidi Swanson
I love to cook and incorporate lots of organic, whole grain, natural ingredients but this book takes it to a whole new level.  I had been a little intimidated by the fact that many of the ingredients I had never seen in any store. Inspired by Julie and Julia, I am diving in. TJ is excited about the idea and is ready to help. Since there are a little over 80 recipes my goal is 2 per week with the goal of finishing in one year.


Recipe #1: Risotto Style Barley with Citrus and Arugula
This recipe despite many good ingredients lacked flavor and pizzaz. The onions and shallots had me crying seriously before the whole process was over. This one will not be added to the make again list but was fun to make once. One new ingredient for me was creme fraiche- a fancy french version of sour cream. I liked it but am not sure it is worth the extra expense.



Recipe #2 Lime- Bathed Peanut Salad
This one was so yummy! It is a winner and I am pretty sure that it will show up pretty frequently. 

Ingredients:
2 cups raw unsalted peanuts (I had roasted and salted and used those)
4 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T olive oil
1/4 t sea salt

1. Roast peanuts for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven
2. Combine tomatoes, cilantro and jalapenos in a bowl
3. In a separate bowl mix the lime juice, olive oil and salt. Mix, then add to tomato mixture
4. Just before serving, combine peanuts with other ingredients




1 comment: